June 22, 2020
Dear Clients, Volunteers, and Friends,
Shepherd’s Center serving Oakton-Vienna-Reston-Herndon (SC) will be offering face-to-face medical and companion transportation effective Monday, June 29th, 2020. We will continue to offer our Food Delivery Drivers service for grocery shopping and delivery to the front door.
Call 1-(703) 260-9568 to schedule an appointment or request a client application.
Our office is open M-F 10am – 4pm to address your needs.
Here are the policy changes and guidelines that we will implement on Monday, June 29th until further notice:
- Volunteer Drivers with any acute respiratory symptoms, fever or those who are primary contacts of a COVID-19 infected individual, should refrain from driving for 14 days.
- Clients with any acute respiratory symptoms, fever or those who are primary contacts of a COVID-19 infected individual should refrain from requesting rides for 14 days.
- SC Office Volunteers will contact clients 48 hours before the scheduled ride asking if they have a fever or are acutely ill. Drivers will contact clients the day of the scheduled ride asking if they have a fever or are acutely ill before the ride.
- Drivers should not accompany clients into medical offices or facilities. Clients should be dropped and collected at the entrance only. Also, drivers will comply with specific recommendations for each medical office regarding how clients are to access the office (for instance, they may ask that clients use a particular entrance or remain in the car until summoned into the office).
- Client must get into the car unassisted.
- Clients and Drivers will wear a mask and gloves.
- Clients will sit in the back seat passenger side.
- Proper air ventilation will occur in the car through opened windows or AC.
- Drivers will use sanitized wipes after each ride to clean the seat, door handles and surrounding area.
Urgent medical rides will be prioritized (chemotherapy, surgical procedures, acute rehabilitation services, etc.) over routine appointments. The office staff will “flag” priority rides in the “Comments” section of Ride Scheduler by inserting the following indicator: ***PRIORITY RIDE***. If possible, drivers should try to select priority rides.
- All in-person social activities are cancelled until further notice.
Stay safe and stay connected,
The Board of Directors, SC
Executive Director, SC
COVID-19 Vaccination Registration
Fairfax County Health Department
Fairfax County Services for Older Adults
Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
Virginia Department of Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
YMCA Grocery & Meal Distribution